Ontario's spectacularly vast and varied landscape is a goldmine of off-road opportunities! Whether you’re heading out for a few hours of fun or a lengthy backcountry expedition, ensure that you’re properly prepared and outfitted to make any adventure safe and fun.
Be sure to Like - Ontario ATV Trails and Ontario Federation of All-Terrain Vehicle Clubs on Facebook!
ATV SMART TIPS
- Take a CSC-approved ATV safety course.
- ALWAYS wear a helmet and proper protective equipment.
- Pack the necessary tools and gear.
- Don’t ride alone: use the buddy system!
- Keep your ATV well-maintained.
- Never ride on paved or public roads.
- Know your limits. Ride within your abilities, in a controlled manner using common sense.
- Rules and Regulations for Ontario ORV use - English
- Rules and Regulations for Ontario ORV use - French
10 ATV ESSENTIALS
- Eye protection
- Spare headlight bulb
- Strong tow rope
- Specific tools for your ATV (toolkit supplied by manufacturer)
- Heavy pants (may include hip & knee pads)
- Boots (either proper dirt bike boots or good leather boots that cover your ankle)
- Hydration pack
- Thin wire, thick tape
- Spare spark plug
ATV SMART ETIQUETTE
- Respect the environment and other trail users.
- Keep to marked trails and tracks and resist the urge to blaze new ones.
- Maintain quiet pipes. More and more trails are closing to motorized sports due to offensively loud tailpipes.
- Join a local ATV club and experience the beautiful trails with others who share your passion. Clubs create quality, safe riding areas and help to keep them open.
- Do some trail maintenance. Give back to the trails and earn good karma for future rides!
- Elbow guards
- Gloves (ATV-specific)
- Jersey or long-sleeved shirt (synthetic fabrics wick moisture best)