Niagara Heritage Trail - Trails of 1812
Ontario Trails Events
|Event:||Niagara Heritage Trail - Trails of 1812|
|Date:||2021-01-20 to 2021-12-20|
|Abstract:||Explore Niagara's rich history along the Old Fort Erie Section:Niagara Heritage Trail|
|Location:||Old Fort Erie 350 Lakeshore Rd Fort Erie Ontario L2A 1B6|
|Cost:||See event website|
The year is 1812. You’re far from home in the unknown wilds of Upper Canada. The place is Fort Erie and war is in the air. All around you are the exciting sights and sounds of men preparing for battle. Step back into a time of red coats, black powder and gray fortress walls. Over 200 years of living history resides within, at Old Fort Erie.
Niagara Parks is preparing to celebrate the War of 1812 Bi-Centennial. Plans are being made for special events beginning in 2012 – visit the official website Visit 1812 for updates on this important milestone shared by Canada and the United States of America – Celebrating 200 Years of Peace.
Did you know?
Fort Erie was…
- the site of ancient flint quarries
- the first fort built in Ontario by the British – in 1764 during Pontiac’s Rebellion
- a base for British troops, Loyalist Rangers and Iroquois Warriors during the American Revolution (1775 – 1783)
- Canada’s bloodiest field of battle with over 3000 troops killed and wounded during the Siege of Fort Erie August 3 to September 21, 1814
- the major crossing point into Canada of the Underground Railroad 1793 – 1865
- occupied by the Fenians (Irish Republican Army) during their largest raid, 1866
- visited by Pontiac, General Brock, General Winfield Scott, Lord and Lady Simcoe, Prince Edward (future King Edward VII), Mark Twain.
Admission Prices are shown in Canadian dollars and do not include taxes.$9.25 Adults (13+ years), $5.15 Children (6 to 12 years)Children 5 and under are FREE!
Dates of Operation: Open seasonally, approximately May 6 to October 7.
Hours of Operation: All times subject to change. Last ticket sold 30 minutes before closing times shown. Extended hours may apply during Special events.Opening Time – 10:00 a.m.Closing Time – 5:00 p.m.