Ottawa Winterlude - Weekend 3
Ontario Trails Events
|Event:||Ottawa Winterlude - Weekend 3|
|Trail:||Rideau Canal: Tip to Tip Trail|
|Date:||2020-01-31 to 2020-02-23|
|Abstract:||Come celebrate Canadian winter fun during Winterlude in Canada’s Capital Region|
|Type:||Winterlude - Ottawa|
|Time:||9:00 AM - 12:00 PM|
|Location:||Rideau Canal Ottawa Ontario Directions|
Come celebrate Canadian winter fun during Winterlude in Canada’s Capital Region Most festival activities are free and take place during the first three weekends of February each year (including Family Day). Here are a few highlights of the programing taking place throughout Ottawa
- The Rideau Canal Skateway is maintained and operated by the National Capital Commission (NCC). It is open to skaters daily (weather permitting) and is FREE of charge.
- On cold nights, workers drill holes in the Canal ice and pump water onto the surface. There’s even a special Skateway zamboni that smooths the ice surface!
- Change huts and snack stations can be found at various locations along the Skateway.
- If you don’t have skates, you can rent them on the Canal. You can also rent bright red sleighs and push those who can’t skate themselves.
- On beautiful winter days, skaters by the thousands fill the Skateway. According to the National Capital Commission (NCC), nearly one million people visit this skating rink each year.
- The first three weekends of February, the Canal is the focal point for Winterlude, the Capital’s annual celebration of winter.
- Many Ottawans who live near the Canal actually use it to skate to school or to work in the winter.
With information from http://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-visit/rideau-canal-skateway