All municipal leash-free dog parks are open.
Park users must keep a two-metre distance from another person who is not a member of their household. Practise strict physical distancing and stay safe. Bring your own hand sanitizer. If possible, wear a non-medical mask.
Clarington's leash-free dog parks in Bowmanville, Courtice and Newcastle are places where dogs can run free and owners can enjoy exercising with their pets outdoors.
View the Leash-Free Dog Parks Map (PDF)
Bowmanville Leash-Free Dog Park
Courtice Leash-Free Dog Park
Newcastle Leash-Free Dog Park
The leash-free park in Newcastle is located behind the Diane Hamre Recreation Complex at 1780 Rudell Road. Follow Highway 2 to Rudell Road and turn south. The driveway into the Recreation Complex is on the west side of Rudell Road, approximately 300 metres south of Highway 2. Park at the west end of the parking lot and follow the limestone trail to the fenced leash-free park.
Leash-free dog park etiquette
- For safety reasons, children under six years are not allowed to enter the park.
- An adult must supervise any child between 6 and 12 years of age.
- Keep your dog(s) on leash until you are inside the fenced area.
- Upon entering and exiting, keep your dog(s) on leash to prevent escapes.
- Do not bring toys, this may create guarding or territorial issues.
- Do not bring any food (including dog treats) into the leash-free park.
- Clean up after your dog.
- Do not bring female dogs in heat or unaltered male dogs into the park.
- Limit the number of dogs you bring into the park to a maximum of three.
- Always keep your dog in sight and within voice range.
- Make sure your dog is up-to-date on his vaccinations.
- If your dog is bullying, or being bullied, leave the park immediately.
- No digging. Fill in any holes your dog has created.
- Respect the rules of the dog park.
We ask residents to respect the rules and to be considerate of other owners and their dogs. This will allow everyone to enjoy and share the leash-free park.
Report a problem
If you are experiencing issues with an aggressive dog at a leash-free dog park, you can report it online using our Report a Problem form.
33 Lake Road, Bowmanville, ON L1C 4P8
Have you traveled this trail?
If you have any corrections or new information you'd like to send us, we'd love your input. Also, any photos or videos you may have taken of your adventures on this or any other trail are welcome as well.
Be a part of our trail community!
SUBMIT A STORY
SUBMIT A PHOTO
SUBMIT A VIDEO
Use your Facebook account to comment on this trail and share your experiences below.
By supporting the Ontario Trails Council, you will support trails, enabling delivery of services such as trail promotion, advocacy, creation and maintenance. The Ontario Trails Council is a provincial organization and registered charity. Every donation of $25 or more will receive a tax receipt. Thank you for your support!